2020 MONIQUE WITTIG WRITER’S SCHOLARSHIP
(University of Arizona, Tucson)
This scholarship honors the life and work of Monique Wittig, French novelist, poet and social theorist. Wittig was a professor at the University of Arizona, Tucson from 1990 to 2003. First published as a novelist, Monique Wittig’s fiction revolutionized French literature. Mary McCarthy called her “the best writer anywhere of her generation.” Wittig’s fiction, as well as theoretical writing, has had a fundamental and worldwide impact upon feminist theory and lesbian and gay theory.
In honor of Monique Wittig, the Monique Wittig Writer’s Scholarship will foster innovation in literary forms and the connection between politics and language. It will allow University of Arizona graduate and undergraduate students to allocate more time to their writing.
This scholarship is open to writers in all fields including literature, film, theater, poetry, essays and new/mixed media. The winner will be expected to present from the work in progress at the awards ceremony.
Applications should include the application form and a cover letter indicating how the student’s work addresses the political and artistic goals of the scholarship, and how the project relates to the student’s other work, and where possible, the work of Monique Wittig. It should also include a writing sample (or other artistic sample) from the project that will be helped by the award, and a plan that demonstrates how the scholarship will aid the student in completing his/her project.
- Completed Application Form
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample from your project—8-18 pages (if prose, double-spaced)
- A plan on how this scholarship will facilitate the completion of your project
- Compile all the components of the application into one PDF,
with a file format = last name of the applicant.PDF (e.g., smith.PDF)
Applications due Saturday, February 1st, 2020 by 5:00 p.m.
Direct questions to:
Monique Wittig Writer’s Scholarship Gender & Women’s Studies Department
Leigh Spencer, Program Coordinator
- 2018 Scholarship Recipient: Sophia Terazawa
- 2015 Scholarship Recipient: Jos Charles
- 2014 Scholarship Recipient: Sally McCallum
- 2012 Scholarship Recipient: Daisy Fleur Pitkin
- 2010 Scholarship Recipient: Emily DePrang
- 2009 Scholarship Recipient: Patricia I. Escarcegá
- Honorable Mention – Bo McGuire
- 2008 Scholarship Recipient: Christina Louise Smith
- Honorable Mention: L. Monique Tippins
- 2007 Scholarship Recipient: Lydia Omolola Okutoro
- 2006 Scholarship Recipient: Susan Meyers
- Honorable Mention: Waylon N. Begay and Sandy Yang
- 2005 Scholarship Recipient: Padma Viswanathan
Donors can support the Monique Wittig Writer’s Scholarship Endowment in the following ways:
A gift of cash. (Please make checks payable to the UA Foundation/Wittig Scholarship Endowment, with “Women’s Studies” listed in the memo section.)
- A pledge over three to five years.
- Marketable securities. We accept securities and sell them upon receipt.
- A family foundation can transfer funds to the UA Foundation
- Planned or estate gifts.
- Real Estate or personal property.
All contributions are tax deductible.
All contributions are greatly appreciated.
For further information
please contact Ginny Healy,
Development Officer, College of Social and Behavioral